Thursday, June 4, 2015

Welcome to World's Cheapest Android Table



More as a joke than anything else I bought the World' Cheapest Android Tablet.  In fact I bought two, one for my and my security camera and one for my significant other.  I really didn't expect much but so far I have been impressed.

One note though, the World's Cheapest Tablet comes with what may be the world's smallest manual.  I actually had to break out a magnifying glass to read the very simple instructions.  Main point - Plug the unit in to charge before trying it out.  Once that is out of the way start playing to your heart's content.

According the the fine print, initial charging should take up to 6 hours.  Since I got two, one took about 4 hours with the last 20 percent taking the most time and the other appears to have finished at about 5 hours. I found about the reverse on discharge.  The first 20% will disappear fast especially with the screen on maximum for outside, but you should get at least 4 hours of use on the battery.  I haven't found out that yet because I am trying to be good and train the battery by not getting it below 70% for the first half dozen charges.

 I bought my tablet as a cheap way to monitor a security camera and the second is mainly just for games.  So far they are more than adequate, so much so that I will add EZCAST TV to their duties along with home network server.  All of these uses will reduce load on my laptop.

I started this particular blog to chronicle the progress so that any others out there thinking about buy a cheap tablet can get an idea of what they are getting and what they may be getting into. Since a lot of the "free" apps have hidden costs like ads and in some cases malware, I am going to try and document the good, bad and ugly, along with the just life stuff.  Just life stuff would be add on purchases.

The  first add on purchase is a cheap USB keyboard (with case and stylus).   The case etc. is only $7 and can be part of a package deal.  that should be in the mail any day now so that should be the second post.   The second add on is the EZCAST about $22, for the TV.  Then I will get into the wireless IP security camera which costs about as much as the tablet at 35 USD.

I didn't plan on writing about this, but so far I have discovered a few things that were interesting to me so some of y'all might get a kick out of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment