Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Update on Stuff -World's Cheapest Tablets Hanging in there.

Kind of surprisingly both tablets are hanging in there remarkably well.  Michele is much better at destructive testing than I am so she has managed to break the dedicated charger.  Now she is forced to use the usb port and her cell phone charger except when she steals my charger.  

In other news, the little SriCam happens to be more durable than expected.  It is located on the porch and we lost the awning during a storm.  Even exposed to the elements and a lot more rain than normal it is hanging in there.  Since it isn't rated for outdoor use I have no idea how common that is, but I am impressed.  I still haven't found a good non-windows application for it, but after setting up in Windows you can access it with just about any other platform.  The biggest downside is that for quality video storage you pretty much have to use Windows or a pay for online service.  Don't forget that security camera uploading eats up a lot of bandwidth.

On the EZCast front I am sorry to report that it is too complicated for Michele.  I still like it for running videos off my hard drive but isn't all that great for streaming Netflix.  Just to compare things I bought a Chromecast at Radio Shack for the going price and found the display quality much better.  Even with Chromecast there are annoying delays when the router/internet gets slowed down.  If you have close to perfect internet access it should be great but we have quite a few things trying to access at the same time which is likely the problem.  That said we hit 250 gig of usage with Netflix being the main load.  


No comments:

Post a Comment